Relocation: moving outside the UK with your child - Passmores Solicitors Barry

Relocation: moving outside the UK with your child

Passmores Solicitors can help you if you seek to relocate to another country with your child.

We have a specialist team who can guide you through the steps you need to take. You will require the consent of any other person who holds Parental Responsibility for the child. Should you remove a child without obtaining this consent you risk being found to have abducted the child.

On your behalf, we will liaise with all interested parties to see if an agreement can be reached and, if this is not possible, we will make an application to the court on your behalf. This type of application is often referred to as a “Leave to Remove” application or a “Relocation” application.

We can also offer you specialist help should you wish to defend an application if your child is going to be removed from the UK.

What is meant by relocation in respect of children law?

Relocation refers to a desire by one parent to move to another country/jurisdiction with their child.

What do I need to show to prove I have a well thought out plan that is in the best interests of my child?

If you are applying to relocate to another country with your child you will need to show that you have a clear plan for when you arrive in the other country, including details of where the child will go to school, where you will live, where you will work, and very importantly how you will facilitate contact between the other parent who remains in this jurisdiction.  The plan must be shown to be in the best interests of the child.

What factors will be relevant to a defence to a child relocating from the UK?

If the parent who seeks for the child to remain in the UK is of the view that the other parent is simply applying to the court to relocate simply to frustrate their contact with the child, it is important that they seek legal advice to discuss the options available.

Will I be able to obtain legal aid for an application to relocate with my child?

In some cases Legal Aid may be available and we can meet with you to assess whether you are eligible for such funding.

Looking for a solicitor in Cardiff, Barry, or South Wales and need more information?

E-Mail Us

Contact Our Barry Office

01446 721000

Contact Our Cardiff Office

029 20 786 618

Passmores Solicitors is the trading name of Passmores Solicitors Limited, registered in England and Wales under Company Number 7284638.
The Registered Office is 21 Tynewydd Road, Barry, Vale of Glamorgan, CF62 8HB. The directors are Catherine Roblin, Sally Matthews, Carli Evans and Claire Grace.
Passmores Solicitors Limited is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, number 571519.

© 2024 Passmores Solicitors. Web Design by Forte Web Solutions